Monday, December 7, 2009

Wrigley's Lasting Sensation

In August 2007, 5 gum came out with a campaign promoting its unique and long-lasting flavors.  It was titled, "Stimulate Your Senses."  The commercial began with a man's voice with the tagline, "HOW IT FEELS TO CHEW 5 GUM."  The effects they used for the picture of the gum pack was accompanied by interference or white noise, a nicely detailed beginning to the rest of the commercial.  It is set in a futuristic backdrop with a man lying on countless number of beads that begins to vibrate to a thumping sound.  Several scenes from the commercial indicates an increase in intensity.  First a small dial gets turned to the right and then another dial, larger than the first, also gets turned on and the vibration begins.  The intensity continues with the speakers thumping and a quick preview of the VU, volume units, level going beyond the red line.  That climatic scene of the balls overflowing and rolling off the edges indicates an extreme experience.

The setting was in a cool and serene environment.  The sensation seemed to be out of this world.  It made consumers like myself feel that to achieve that experience I need to chew 5 gum.  It is like experiencing a whole new realm, a realm of ecstasy.  A lot like reaching some sort of spirituality it is pure comfort and also an extreme, indescribable feeling.  

Going beyond the natural human limits and reaching spirituality appears to be through 5 gum now.  Welcome to the 21st century!

-Anna Phommavong

3 comments:

  1. I like that, you really pulled out the main details of that commercial. I think I need some 5 gum :) Honestly this reminds me of a lot of soda commercials, they show you all these people doing all these happy things, I look at my soda and wonder where it went wrong. Maybe too much ice? :) But they do sell you the ideas you presented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ashley's statement. I never looked at that commercial from that angle. It's amazing the things that advertisers can come up with to captivate something inside of us to make us want to buy their products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so true...perhaps that's why I'm always buying something new that's been advertised! It tricks you into believing you've got to have it! lol
    Atleast I'm not buying it to fill a hole though, just to keep my breath fresh!

    ReplyDelete